Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blender Blunder


It's been a few weeks, so I can laugh about it now. Such was not the case when it happened. Caleb's birthday was Sunday, Sept. 26, and I wanted to make him a special breakfast. He really likes "eggs in a nest" (when you cut a hole in the bread and fry an egg in the hole), and smoothies. So I got to work.

It is a sad day when one realizes that she has never actually made a smoothie in nearly 23 years of existence. I guess my mom always made them for us, and I never had a craving for them in college. So Caleb's birthday was as good day to learn. I put in frozen fruit, honey, and apparently not enough milk. This is the before shot... Little does the girl in the picture realize how quickly that smile will turn to a frown...


I put the lid on and pushed blend. Nothing blended. So I have the ingenious idea to stick a wooden spoon down there and mix things up a bit.

You know, they always tell you, "Don't stick your finger in a light socket," or "Don't stick a knife in the toaster," (actually, I figured that one out on my own too,) but nobody ever says, "Don't stick a spoon in an activated blender!" They should. It should be right up there with "Look both ways before crossing the street," and "Don't get into cars with strangers." Anyway, I digress...

My spoon hit the revolving blade and, well, you can just see for yourself:

Fruit smoothie everywhere. Compare the volume of smoothie in this picture with the previous one. The discrepancy all ended up on me and on the floor. It was a birthday disaster. Caleb started laughing and snapping photos, and I burst into tears, ashamed of my own incompetence. What married girl doesn't know how to make a smoothie?

If it was any consolation, what smoothie we managed to salvage from the wreckage actually tasted excellent.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Hahaha! Better luck next time I guess!
    That sure was sweet/brave of you to take on a whole new task for your hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahhaha! Oh no, I'm so sorry! Uh...if it helps? I make great cookies. I do. I really do. But Jason and I made cookies one time and I asked for butter...and he handed me margarine...and I'm dumb and didn't think about it...and successfully made the crappiest cookies known to man. I was so upset when the first batch came out of the oven I couldn't even go back in the kitchen. My pride has never been so wounded. It still kind of hurts actually, and its been a good month...probably more. Hhahaha. You are so cute! I love that story. :) Cooking blunders are NOT funny in the moment. Nope. Boys should know this...hahah.

    ReplyDelete