Saturday, April 20, 2013

An objective critique

I have great parents. Now, let's talk about their flaws.

This reflection all started when I thought back to what music I was exposed to as a child. The Snell Home music collection consisted of Kenny G, MoTab, and maybe a Phantom or Cats soundtrack. Not exactly a cultural goldmine. When I would ask my parents about the music they listened to when they were younger, I'd get this response:
Mom: "I just loved elevator music." (What does that even mean? I guess it explains the Kenny G.)
Dad: "Well, I liked that one song Turn Turn Turn. But I was also in lots of musicals in high school." This comment would always be followed by him singing a show tune, which I guess explains Phantom and Cats.
And that's about all the musical exposure my parents gave me. So sad. So flaw #1 is making me discover Journey and Billy Joel all by myself.

Snells do salads, and chicken, and lots of crock pot stuff. My parents' idea of exotic cuisine was going to a Chinese restaurant so my dad could talk to the staff in Cantonese. So flaw #2 is leaving shrimp, sushi, and Thai food out of my childhood diet.

Speaking of food, I wish my mom would have taught me to cook. In her defense, she tried, but I just wasn't interested in learning. So I guess flaw #3 really belongs to me. There is a sad day in my memory as a young college student where I boiled chicken for dinner because I figured that was the only way to cook it. Ugh, vile. How far I've come since that day.

That's pretty much all the beef I have with the parentals, but to be fair I think I should name the things I'm grateful that they introduced to me.

#1-How to play pretty much every sport. Except baseball, which I find boring.
#2-the theatre.
#3-how to work hard
#4-how to teach using the scriptures
#5-old movies
#6-the value of exercise
#7-having a Christ-centered home
#8-the California Penal Code
#9-Rook
#10-quality family dinner conversation

We'll cap it there. Overall, I think they did a stand-up job.

No comments:

Post a Comment