Thursday, February 13, 2014

For those of you not on Goodreads

Looking for a good book to read? I thought I'd share some of my favorite books I've read recently. A major chunk of my ideal day would be spent in bed with a good book, a cup of hot chocolate, and the sun shining through my window.

The Classics- I love these because, along with having a great plot, they tend to be very thought-provoking. This also means they tend to be long. Most of these are 800+ pages. Don't be intimidated!

Anna Karenina- And you thought your family was dysfunctional. This one really gets you thinking about your own relationships, and what brings happiness.
Gone with the Wind-LOVE LOVE. I'm half-way through right now.
Les Miserables- Beautiful. There are some long-winded passages about random historical things, and I skimmed those parts. But seriously I love this book.
The Virginian -this one starts slow, so skip the first 120 pages if you must. Just know that the Virginian is a cowboy who loves the local school teacher, and Trampas is the bad guy.


Just for Fun-Sometimes you just need a mindless book that makes you smile.

Edenbrooke-Jane Austen-esque novel. I'm sort of embarrassed that I read this book in 2 days. It's cheesy, but fun.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society-Charming and witty
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio-true and very unique story. Fun to read.


Not so happy, but really good books

The Book Thief- so this WWII/holocaust novel was a fascinating page-turner with a really unusual narrator. It's been a while since I've read it, but I think there was some language in this book.
Rebecca (by Daphne DuMaurier)- a suspenseful mystery
The Thirteenth Tale- This one was really well written, but kind of dark.

Biographies-typically I'm not thrilled about reading biographies, but I will recommend one:

Unbroken- about a WWII survivor. Holy cow, what a story. I think the movie comes out this year.



I'm pretty sure everybody has already read The Help and Life of Pi, so I didn't include those.

I have appreciated reading so much more since graduating college and leaving behind those mandated textbook reading assignments. Caleb still lives and breathes textbooks, so I can't convince him to read anything more. He did read Ender's Game with me last summer, though. We're redboxing the movie on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Linds, I loved this! Thanks for these suggestions. I loved Gone With the Wind and The Book Thief (took me a while to get into it, but seriously great). I also read Edenbrooke. It was surprisingly delightful haha! I still need to read Anna Karenina. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete