Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Murderer

Today I killed a firefly. It was an accident. I thought it was a mosquito, and as I crushed it's poor little body between my bare hands it sent out one final spark as if to say, "Goodbye cruel world!" In that instant I would not have felt more guilty if I was Lord Voldermort himself drinking precious unicorn blood, for there are few animals I love more than fireflies.
It reminded me of another time that I accidentally killed an animal. I was in the middle of heavy traffic a few years ago when out darted a kitten onto the freeway. A kitten! How did it get there?!? I watched in horror as he helplessly dodged cars, and then stopped frozen in front of me. In a split second I had to decide who deserved to live more: the kitten or the drivers on either side of me. Then a thump. I killed the kitten. And then I cried all the way home.
Sorry, this post turned out to be a real downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment