Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I'm no Wordsworth

Please don't laugh; I entered a poetry contest. Here is my poem. I know it's pretty simple, but I've just been looking for ways to get the creative juices flowing.


New Mother
by Lindsey Miskin

Ignorance taught the term “delivery”
As nominal for what the stork delivers to me
After forty-plus weeks of discomfort and pain
Morning sickness, back aches, and a vow “Never again!”

Contractions start, thus ending the wait
Labor is WORK, (minus a lunch break)
Not called “delivery” like a package in the mail
But deliverance from bondage for the Children of Israel

After birth, baby sleeps, cries, and eats
Diaper runs, spit-up, minimal sleep
Inadequate feelings of all I do wrong
Baby cries, I soothe her with my song

Tonight, a smile as she lay ‘gainst my chest
A prayer thanking Providence for my own Lainey Beth
Ask me if now the delivery I regret
What discomfort and pain? I guess I forget.

2 comments: