Friday, May 30, 2014

Lessons from nature

This week I was bitten by a horsefly. Ever had that experience? Felt like a piranha bite--or so I'd think. Never actually had a piranha bite. I checked horseflies up online. Those are smart little buggers. The females use their arms to rip open your flesh to gain quick access to your blood, which is necessary for reproduction. This is also helpful because the victim will be more focused on the wound pain than on killing the perpetrator, thus letting the fly escape. It's been four days and I still itch like crazy.
While we are on the subject of creepy animals, here's another tidbit of knowledge for you. Remember the angler fish? (Think the scary fish with the light on finding nemo.) Well that's the female angler. The male is like a hundred times smaller and he latches on to the female with sharp teeth to fertilize eggs in exchange for safety and food. After a while he becomes fused there and just sort of exists. Sounds like a pathetic existence to me, but we are talking about a lightless underwater abyss, so I'm not sure anybody down there is having a picnic. Anyway, it got me thinking. Ladies, I'm all about strong, competent women and girl power, but let's not be angler fishes. Or horseflies. Let's just be people. The nice kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment