Friday, September 11, 2015

"Prove me now herewith..."

I don't often share thoughts on things of a spiritual nature, but I'd like to more often. I thought I'd start with this: Caleb was on an NSF Fellowship for the past 4 years, and it expired last month. This means that his advisor now has to fund him until he graduates. Unfortunately his advisor is tight on funding, and told Caleb he would be taking a significant pay cut. We're talking $9,000/year, which is huge considering how we're already flirting with the poverty line. Needless to say, I have been STRESSING over this for the past few months.
Well, recently I discovered that I misunderstood how I get paid for my part time job as a school nurse. I thought I got paid hourly, but I'm actually on an hourly salary, which means I got paid all through the summer even though I didn't have to work. Do you know how much money I made? $9140,0. That, my friends, is a tithing blessing. Paying 10% of your income seems nuts to most people, but time and time again I have seen how the Lord has blessed my family with financial stability, ideas for thriftiness, and debt avoidance because we pay tithing. I LOVE learning how to make more with less, and having a frequent reminder that everything I have--money included--comes from the Lord. Paying tithing doesn't mean we'll ever be rich, but the Lord, as promised in Malachi, will truly open the windows of heaven and shower us with the blessings we need if we pay our tithing.

No comments:

Post a Comment