Thursday, November 1, 2012

Miskin, Party of 2

Do you have any feelings of social inadequacy? Mine is hosting parties. This one time in college my roommate Mandie and I hosted an Olympic-themed party. We invited the whole ward to join us in watching the Olympics and snacking on patriotic food (layered red and blue jello with whipped cream on top, red, white, and blue, M&Ms, etc.). I thought it was a genius idea, but apparently I was the only one. A single person showed up: Mandie's cousin. I don't know why I take these things personally, but in my mind nobody showing up to my party translates to "you're a loser, and nobody likes you." I've been terrified of hosting ever since.

So this week Caleb told me he wanted to have a party. He gave me a list of a few families he wanted to come over for an "Ethnic Foods Night," where everybody brings a different dish from around the world. I sent out the evites three days ago, and so far I have 3 "no's" and a "maybe." The rest simply haven't responded. This is how my sensitive female brain translates:

No: a few people had valid excuses, so I can't really get upset about that. The excuse-less "no's" mean "I don't find you interesting enough to spend the evening with."

Maybe: this means, "I have no intention of coming, but I don't want to hurt your feelings by marking "No."

Unresponsive: Also means, "I have no intentions of coming, but I don't want to hurt your feelings by marking "maybe" or "no." So I'll just ignore you.

Looks like Caleb and I will share a lonely evening over Fe Jiaoda and Tim Tam Slams.

2 comments:

  1. If we only lived a few 100 miles closer we would SO be there!! And I know exactly what you mean, same reason I never have parties. Why don't we just move closer and then we can go to each others parties? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds, I would totally come! And I love reading your blog. It's so clever and your family is adorable!

    ReplyDelete