Wednesday, October 3, 2012

six kids and a sister

I'm back. Things have been a bit crazy for us over the past two weeks, and it's nice to finally catch up.

First things first. I read the Old Testament front to back for the first time. I always used the excuse that it was too long to read, but after finishing Atlas Shrugged's 1100-or-so pages, I figured Heavenly Father might raise his eyebrows at my excuse. There are some gems in the OT, particularly in what my institute teacher calls the "major" prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel). Especially Daniel. I like him. I also realized that every chapter in the Old Testament is exactly the same: God is upset with Israel because they forsake Him for idolatry, and then invites them to repent. I found myself thinking that the Israelites were idiots until I realized that every day of my life is exactly the same: God isn't pleased with Lindsey because she sins, and He invites her to repent. Serve up some humble pie, please.

We watched my bishop's 5 kids for a week this month. It was busy, but good. Going from 1 to 6 kids wasn't as terrible of an adjustment as I thought it would be. I could totally have six kids if I gave up sleep and all of my hobbies. The highlight of the week was this: Caleb set his contacts and contact case in the kids bathroom one night. The next morning one of his contacts was missing. No idea where it went. The next day I was changing their 2-year-old's messy diaper, and I found Caleb's contact in her poop. She ATE his contact! Caleb didn't want it back.

Then until yesterday my sister and her baby were in town visiting. We had a blast. We toured Purdue, went garage sale-ing, and shared frustrations about our friends/family who brag about abusing entitlement programs. It's funny to think that I'm such good friends with a sister who used to punch me in the face and put toothpaste in my hair while I slept. She took all the pictures, so maybe later I'll get some from her and post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment